|Market Hall in the early 1920's. (Photo from "Historic Chesterfield County, SC" and the collection of Tim Lussier.)
(Cheraw (S.C.) photograph album, 1899-1904: Digital Image Access Project Photographs, Special Collections Library, Duke University.)
|Ranard Hotel--The Ranard Hotel was located in the 100 block on the west side of Second St. The name came from the original owners of the hotel, Joe Raley and John Maynard. It was built in 1911 and was sold to the Ingram family in the 1920's. At that time the name was changed to the Cheraw Hotel by which it was called until the hotel closed in 1964. The appearance of the facade was changed drastically with the addition of the Permastone many years ago.
|The Cheraw Hotel--The Cheraw Hotel, at one time known as
the Planter's Hotel, once stood on the northeast corner of Market
and Third Streets where the present post office is located. This
hotel was once a stage tavern and boarded such notables as John C.
Calhoun, Henry Clay and Sam Houston. A 1908 Cheraw Chronicle account
of the hotel states, "The stageline of that day, for there were no
railroads here, ran from Washington, D.C., to Texas, and fortunately
for her inhabitants, Cheraw was on the line. So that a great event
of each day was the arrival of the two lumbering coaches, one going
north and the other west." The hotel went back as far as where the
Masonic Lodge now stands. Then, it was referred to as the Cheraw
Hotel and Cottage because there was a separate building in the back.
The Cheraw Hotel burned around 1918 or 1919 at a time when it was
owned by H.M. Duvall, J.W. Malloy and J.L. Anderson. The lot
remained empty until the U.S. Government bought it in 1931.
(Picture shown immediate left: Cheraw (S.C.) photograph album,
1899-1904: Digital Image Access Project Photographs, Special
Collections Library, Duke University.)
|Inglis McIver Law Office--Built in the early part of the 19th century and shown here in its original location on Front Street, this small Greek revival building was the law office for Alexander McIver and his son Henry, who later became Chief Justice of the South Carolina Supreme Court. Henry McIver's law partner, John A. Inglis, was the main author of South Carolina's Ordinance of Secession. It was here that the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg "read" law. In 1947 the Civic League Garden Club moved the building to it's present location on the Town Green.
|Cheraw Downtown, 1972
|Click Here to go back to the "Cheraw in Photos" Page.