|Lafayette House (c. 1823) was built by Dr. William Ellerbe. In 1825, when General Lafayette visited the United States, a public reception was held at the house HSCC, 1997).
|Residence of Mrs. Hattie McCoy, where Lafayette was entertained
|Cherry laurel Inn, 1940
Market St. Cheraw
Home of Mrs. Myrtle W. Harrall Cheraw, SC. A Good place for Tourists on U.S. Highway No. 1
|Residence of Robt. Chapman Cheraw, SC
Wilson Springs Log Cabins (~1925) is the current Bob Rogers property that used to have a swimming pool which was fed by Wilson Springs. The building at the left of the picture was where they had dances etc. It was believed to be the recreation center of that time. It cost ten cents to go swimming there. Wilson Springs was later purchased by the American Legion, and then by Bob Rogers becoming Bomar Water Gardens.
|Boxwood Hall--Boxwood Hall was
built in 1822 by Dr. Thomas H. Powe (also credited for growing the
first tomatoes in Cheraw) . The Powes remained in the home until
1852 when Dr. Cornelius Kollock bought it. During the Civil War,
occupants of the house reportedly hid bacon between the floor boards
on the second floor above the living room from General Sherman's
troops. Fat from the meat supposedly permeated the wood so that it
is still hard to keep painted until this day. A dent on the front
porch was said to have been made by a cannon ball that was fired
upon the town as the Union Army entered Cheraw. In 1897, the McIver
family purchased the home. It remained in that family until
purchased by Judge and Mrs. C. Anthony Harris in recent years. This
photo was taken in the early 1900's after sleet covered the town.
The second image shows Boxwood Hall, in 1940, Mrs. Wm. H. Wannamaker, Hostess
|Wm. Godfrey House
|427 Third St.
Snowfall--Rare snowfall, then and now, were often the occasion for a photograph. This one shown at the corner of Kershaw and High Streets around the turn of the century. An exact date on this Greek-revival cottage is not known, but it was probably built sometime between 1854 and the Confederate War.
|Corner of Market and Green--This home at the
corner of Market and Green Streets was built in 1822 by Christopher
Pegues. It changed hands several times during the 1800's, and when
the Federal Garrison was stationed in Cheraw during reconstruction
times, the basement was used as a guard house where many prominent
citizens were incarcerated for infractions of the strict Federal
laws concerning the treatment of newly freed slaves. Some remodeling
of the outward appearance took place in 1898 while owned by
Alexander Kollock. In 1900, the Duvall family purchased the home and
remained there for 77 years. The photo can be dated between 1898 and
|Click Here to go back to the "Cheraw in Photos" Page.