Cheraw erected the first monument to the memory of the Confederate dead at a cost of $1,000 in 1867. The unveiling took place on July 27, 1867. The inscription on the monument reads, "To the memory of our heroic dead who fell at Cheraw during the war 1861-1865. Loved and honored though unknown. Stranger, bold champion of the South, revere and view these tombs with love; Brave heroes slumber here, Loved, and Honored, though unknown." (HSCC, 1997)
|Confederate Monument Dedication--The Confederate Monument
at Old St. David's cemetery has the distinction of being the first
to have been erected in memory of the war dead, having been unveiled
July 27, 1867. The first Memorial Day celebration was held there May
10, 1867. For many years, school children conducted a traditional
march through the streets of town to the monument for Memorial Day
services. In 1961, the march was discontinued.
|Cheraw Bank Note, front and back|
|Cheraw Bank Note|
|Sherman entering Cheraw--General Sherman and his troops entered Cheraw March 3, 1865, in a drizzling rain. The mayor and town wardens went to the west end of Market Street to meet him with a white flag so the town would not be destroyed. A Cheraw resident wrote many years later of their arrival, "Immediately the streets were filled with bluecoats. They seemed to have sprung from the ground. These bluecoats rushed into houses demanding keys, and when they were not forthcoming, broke open doors with their guns." The artwork shows the Lyceum Building, the Town Hall, and what could possibly be the Timmons Hotel which was on the northeast corner of Market and Second Streets from 1820 to 1888. This is an artist's depiction appeared in Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper in April of 1865|
|Interesting Post Card--The inscription on the back
"Cheraw, South Carolina--'Prettiest Town in Dixie'--Fine Climate--Water and Sewers--Two Trunk Lines--Head Navigation on River--Cheap electric Power--Five Year Tax Exemption."
|Industrial Cheraw--Postcards such as this were issued in the early part of the century as a souvenir for Cheraw's annual July 7 celebration. During the celebration professional baseball games were held at the ball field across from Pee Dee Baptist Church, a horse race was held at the race track where Carolina Park is today, moving pictures and vaudeville shows at the Town Hall, open air concerts, and barbeque on the Town Green. For the 1911 celebration, 6,148 people were counted coming into the town by road and 5,661 people by trains for a total of 11,809 visitors for Cheraw's July 7 celebration. This is a card for the 1908 celebration. In the upper left corner is Cheraw's Spiritine Factory which made turpentine. In the cupper right is a picture of "Cheraw Door and Sash Factory" in its early days. The other three photos show some of Cheraw's agriculture.|
|Circus Parade--At the beginning of the century, circuses
usually set up on the old ballfield across from Pee Dee Baptist
Church. This circus parade on Second Street occurred October 21,
1913. In the background the two-story Ranard Hotel was built just
two years prior to this photo by Joe Raley and John
Maynard. It was purchased by Mr. Emsley G. Ingram in the 1920's and known as the Cheraw Hotel until 1964. The building, without its balcony and with a new "Permastone" facade still stands today.
|To Cheraw Miscellaneous Photos II||Click Here to go back to the "Cheraw in Photos" Page.|